Tuvalu was together with West Kiribati (T30) the target of my 2009 Pacific DXpedition with Fiji as the central hub. On September 8 I arrived at the Bairiki International Airport where many people were greeting the new arrivals. Tarawa has some 11,000 inhabitants and all international travel is by two flights (Tuesday and Thursday) and a number of vessels. It was no wonder there are so many people at the airport welcoming friends and family. The airport is rather small and I quickly got through customs but got stuck at the baggage claim. After waiting in an extremely hot and humid room in the airport building, the baggage arrived and was pushed through some sort of gate and placed in the middle of the small room. People started searching for their bags and quickly it looked like a nest with ants. I took my time and tried not to move too much in order keep my body temperature under control. After a while I was able to pick my two cases from the pile and moved outside where it was still warm but a lot more pleasant.

The hotel shuttle took about 15 minutes to deliver all guests to the Otintaai Hotel, the only (government owned) hotel. Tarawa has a number of guesthouses as well.

On advice from several other operators who were there before, I had asked for room 7 which is at the end of the east wing. The location is excellent as you can easily walk into the garden and work on the antennas which can be placed right at the edge of the lagoon. For my preparation of this trip I received some pictures from JA8BMK of this location which was very helpful. Just because of this, I brought two stainless steel clamps to fix the vertical antenna to one of the poles that keeps the fence in place. It was quite a challenge to get the vertical on top of the tube by myself but I managed to get it done by the use of two guy wires. I needed only 10 meters of coax to reach the radio in the room.

The first contact was made at 15:17Z on 40m. I was surprised by the extremely strong signals and at one point I had to adjust the audio to an acceptable level to protect my ears. I could work Japan, US and Europe at the same time and I soon had a good pileup which became more difficult to work. In some case I recognized that other DX stations started their operation close to my frequency which quickly caused confusion and finally I had to cease operation.

Sometimes I could work the pileup until conditions faded out but sometimes the pileup developed into a chaos where nobody was listening anymore. This was partly caused by the fact that my signal was very weak in Europe but largely by the misbehavior of some people at the other end, which was difficult for me to hear. I had cases where I had to pause for 15 minutes to get the pileup silent and could start with the right procedure again; once I have called a station, I want to finish that QSO, no matter how long it takes, but some callers did not honor my commitment.

  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1  2 
  •  Next 
  •  End 

Call: T30GM
Start: 08-09-2013
End: 14-09-2013
Island: Tarawa

by acls us
Go to top