JW0PK - Svalbard, Prins Karls Forland
Malaysia, Pulau Gual
PA0GAM/4S7 - Sri Lanka
SV9/PG5M - Greece, Crete
T30GM - Kiribati, Tarawa
V6G - FSM, Yap
T2G - Tuvalu, Funafuti
PA0GAM/ST2 - Sudan
PJ2/PG5M - Curacao, Willemstad
CE0Y/PG5M - Rapa Nui
9M2/PG5M - Spratly - Pulau Layang-Layang
During the 2012 CQ WW SSB the station A73A was active again and this time with a different group of operators. The following operators were running the contest station:
A71BX – Ali (organizer), A71CV – Abdulla, A71CO – Khalid, A71AM – Saif, A71AD – Rashid, A71EL – Mohammed, A71BZ – Ali, A61BK – Khalid, N6TR – Tree, N6AN – David, N5OT – Mark, K5GN – Dave (co-organizer), HA1AG – Zolli and PG5M – Gerben.
The location was at the Northern tip of Qatar, near Al Mafjar. The location was chosen because of the quite area and the possibility to place the vertical antennas (partly) in the salty water. The station was set up just only for the contest, like in previous years and the first activities started more than a month before the contest. A provisional shelter was built and the first antennas erected and tuned. Every week a team went to install more antennas and transported cables and materials to further built the station. A week before the contest the mobile shelters were positioned at the site and Dave K5GN and I visited the everyday during that week to further install and test the station. As usual, many problems and faults (common for temporary setup of stations) had to be solved and extensive testing took place.
On Thursday night the whole team gathered at a restaurant in Doha and were offered an excellent dinner by our Qatari hosts.
For our accommodation we used very comfortable mobile chalets, all of them having air-conditioning. This was very useful during operating and sleeping. To give you an idea of the size of the accommodation, the operating chalet was 9m by 3.6m and divided into 2 rooms; 6m x 3.6m for 160m, 80m, 40 and 20m and 3m x 3.6m for 15m and 10m. The sleeping chalet is 6m x 3.5m + bathroom.
A separate "kitchen" was used by our cook Jaman who also did other technical support jobs. Next to the kitchen was a big plastic tank for drinking water. Behind the kitchen we had the power generator. During the build-up of the station we had one generator and for the weekend we had an additional back-up generator. However, shortly after installation the problems started and we had no power at all anymore. The technicians that installed the second generator were called back and the problem was fixed.
The antennas were verticals at the water's edge or even into the sea. The antenna farm consisted of a single inverted L for 160, 4-squares for 80 and 40 and side-by-side parasitic arrays for the high bands. Further we used a number of K9AY receiving antennas for various bands and beverage antennas for 160 and 80- meters.
On the radio side we had 6x Yaesu FT2000 + one Icom 756 pro III. Further we used 5x Acom-2000A and 2 Emtron DX-2sp amplifiers and a spare OM3500. Each transceiver was connected to an amplifier via LPF and between the amplifier and the antenna was a BPF.
The local network was connected to the 3G mobile network via a dongle for internet access.